I'm getting there. The omelets on Sunday were an improvement from last week's. Since Murdo and I like our fillings more cooked than raw, I've decided that slightly cooking the fillings in butter beforehand is the way to go. I'm getting better at lifting the edges of the egg in the skillet and swishing the uncooked egg underneath, so as to avoid undercooked insides. When the egg is set, I add the fillings to half the skillet (the half opposite the handle). Then I attempt the slide-flip-fold method, which involves sliding half of the set omelet and fillings onto a plate and flipping the skillet over, thus folding the second half over the fillings.
Except that when the slide-flip-fold part came along, I panicked. I got scared that the egg would stick to the pan and and start tearing and the insides would spill over the edge like some sort of gory omelet explosion.
So I tried a different method: Fold the omelet while it's still in the skillet. Lesson learned: This method sucks. A heavy, overstuffed omelet is pretty tough to get out of the pan, at least for me. Lifting it with a spatula caused the ends to droop and bleed the goodies back into the pan. Sliding it out of the skillet caused the omelet to unfold upon reaching the plate. So I sort of lifted/slid the suckers out of the pan and ended up with lopsided omelets:
Again, tasty and satisfying. But not quite the perfect omelet I'm striving to achieve.
Getting there, though.